Tuesday, February 12, 2013

getting ready...

I thought I would share with you what I've been doing to prepare for Avairy's first foods. Since she's turning 5 months on the 19th, I think now is a better time than any to introduce her to something with more taste to it. Not to mention she is definitely ready. She's always so curious and anxious to get her hands on whatever mommy and daddy are eating and you can't run from the waterfall of drool that I have to mop up when she sees someone eating something!

This is probably one of the most fun and exciting milestones babies will go through. But the best part about it all is choosing what to feed her first. I'm so excited to see the funny faces she'll make when she first tries a banana or some green beans! Don't worry, there will be plenty of pictures to show when the time comes.

So to prepare I've been read tons of books and websites on what to do and I've always come back to these two books. If you want to do some of your own research, I would suggest Cooking for Baby by Lisa Barnes and The Wholesome Baby Food Guide by Maggie Meade. But my all time favourite one would have to be Maggie Meade's book. If you don't feel like buying her book, her website is just as informative. Check it out at http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com she has awesome tips and recipes for every stage of feeding.



I've also been looking into some foods that are the most nutritious and easiest to digest. I wanted to stay away from the traditional (might I add myth) of feeding bland first foods like rice cereal. So far the top three fruits or vegetables are avocados, bananas, and sweet potatoes. They can be made into smooth and chunky consistencies very easily and pack a lot of punch in the nutritional department. 




In the meantime, I'm gonna leave you guys with this adorable picture. Try not to roll over and die from cuteness haha I'll keep you guys posted and let you know how everything turns out with Avairy!



No comments:

Post a Comment